FAITH IN UNEMPLOYMENT


When I think of these past almost 12 months the phrase "wonders shall never end" places itself front and center in my mind.  

With not only the pandemic but a sudden (non-viral) death toll climbing of either big names/people I knew, me waiting to get licensed after 9 months of unintentionally being on hold post grad... going through a struggle period of no job right before turning 26 and dropping off my parents' health insurances was a nice little touch to spice up the year.

Essentially all my plans of a smooth transition out of school and nothing but school had been eliminated. I came back to living with my parents and sitting in disappointment. 

Granted I was in a fantasyland to assume adulting would be anywhere near smooth in the first place. Sure I've been on my own paying bills out of state after high school but that my friends was adulting-lite. At the end of the day I still fell back on school, grants, scholarships and my parents.

2020 though has been ADULT-ING. Taking life as it is with what it decides to throw and pushing through independently.  I spoke earlier about my pivot, shifting my focus and time on God through His word mid-year cause a girl needed grounding. That's exactly where my positive outlook came from. 

My faith and hope was challenged over and over again through the rejection letters, unsuccessful interviews, calls for someone more qualified and experienced. How was I going to gain experience in a field where you need experience first to gain the experience? Seemed like a sick joke to me. 

At a time when healthcare was top dog...like on a global scale...how was I the one person finding it hard to land something? (It's easy to feel like you're going through this stuff alone, though that's usually never the case hence the blog) 

It took a while for me to let go of victimhood. Everything was happening TO me, the odds were stacked. First the CPJE scandal, now this COVID hiring freeze, now...etc etc.  I wallowed for some time but ultimately I had a choice: remain angry about some sort of “unfair treatment” and give up; or trust God to be who He is—Jehovah Jireh, thE (big E) Provider who will see me through.  

Choosing to speak the Word of God and reminding myself of who He is and what He has promised kept my head in the game and my name on those applications.   

BIBLE VERSES FOR SUPPORT

Romans 8:28 says, “And we know all things work together for good to those who love God, for those who are called according to His purpose.” This doesn’t mean that everything we go through is good, but it's possible that good things can come out of our trials.

The growing uncertainty of my situation forced me to know God and trust Him at a deeper level than ever. From birth He has never let me down but in these few specific months my faith in God has grown as He revealed things to me and I had seen Him provide in many different ways. 

Whether you've been furloughed for an extended period of time, completely laid off or simply struggling to get your foot in a door; any door—hinged, sliding, revolving, God sees what we're all going through and will cause things to work out for our good in our favor in His time.

He “executes righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed” (Psalm 103:6). You may feel stuck in this rut of a valley right now but your peak is coming. In Jesus's name.

And you've got to have hope. Hold on to it. It’s hard to have faith that things will get better without hope. To have hope in a desperate situation takes strength. “Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the LORD” (Psalm 31:24 NASB). Notice that our hope is to be in GOD, not our circumstances. Hope in God.

It’s easy to hope or trust in the material things around us—money, jobs, success, power or influence. But Psalm 20:7 declares, “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” We must be careful that He is the one to be relied on. Trusting in other things will lead to disappointment and feelings of worthlessness when they're gone but He is ever present, He is faithful.

Always lean on God for help and trust Him to answer. Philippians 4:6-7 encourages us to “not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

It is written that He wants us to cast “all [our] care and anxieties upon Him, for He cares for [us]” (1 Peter 5:7).

Here's another one. Jesus reminded His disciples that God takes care of the birds and they do not sow or reap, so how much more will God take care of his own children? He then said, “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:31-33).

God takes care of His children. In return, instead of pursuing what we need, God just wants us to pursue Him. To be concentrated on His kingdom, and make Him our priority—trust that He will provide all we need in abundance.

Most importantly we should remember God is in control. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:9). 

Even when we're unable to see it or understand it, He is working things out on our behalf and for the good of His Kingdom. This is the essence of walking by faith, not by sight.

In time, you may realize it was for your good He didn't open certain doors. Trust that He knows what is best he has the outline. When an opportunity or position doesn’t open up, believe that something better is on the horizon. Who knows? God may be sparing from more difficult situations by closing doors that to us seemed good. 

“A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps” (Proverbs 16:9). Trust that God is directing your every step as you seek Him. 

TINY TIPS

All this being said, these are not excuses to be lazy. Letting go and letting God does not give permission to lay flat on your back. Opportunities won't just drop in your lap. Be proactive. Let people know that you’re looking for a job. Build your network. While you are not working, volunteer to help out where you see fit. Have others look over your resume for revamping. 

Hustle. Work some side jobs. Keep your options open.

God is not one to lead us astray and then abandon. Have faith. He walks with us. 

Good luck.