THESE ARENT STUDY TIPS


These are only practices that happen to work for me and that I've chosen to share. Take them as you wish but I'm honestly in no place to advise others on how to study.

First off I'm still getting the hang of and perfecting these techniques, I'm no academic coach. Additionally, it's not only people who are different... There are different curriculums, course loads, teaching styles-- and they all in their separate ways play a role. How you prefer to study for one class could be the exact opposite to what's most effective in another.

For my accelerated, block "let's have an exam every other Friday" school schedule... this works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I first dove into the system I already knew my process of study that benefitted me the most. They were/are physically writing lecture slides into notes and meeting in study groups at least once a week. In addition to working on my own, I enjoy getting occasional feedback and having the ability to bounce off others in case there were little specs of information I missed being alone.

I had this formula set by the very end of my undergrad... and it helped me through some very tough times; I just had to project it onto this new professional school program. 

Forgive me for stressing but my program has been an entire lifestyle change in and of itself. There was no initial luxury of getting used to what's going on before our first major exam. You're pretty much thrown straight in (week 2) and challenged to adjust immediately.

That being said I believe knowing what worked for me ahead of time was my saving grace. So what works for you?

Are you a
Visual learner,
Auditory,
Kinesthetic,

A reader/writer?

There are many ways to categorize learning styles these four are under VPAK with descriptions available on this site. 

Once you get that sorted that's honestly all you need.

OPTIMIZE

Along with acknowledging how you learn - style wise - it's best to figure out how to execute most effectively. Yes that sentence sounded just as weird while I was writing it but I promise it makes sense.

Are you more willing to review slides in the morning with nice and bright productive lighting or in the evening, relaxed with chill vibes surrounding you? These are things to think about.

If you have plenty on your plate for the day, often times small errands college students prioritize to be more important than studying, it will be harder to focus. Another point of consideration... procrastination nation.

Time management is a beast people in their 40s are still trying to conquer so I'll just leave that one alone.

Something extra - study away from your bed. I purposefully don't study in my room all together or I'd find myself on my mattress in no time. Avoid your bed at all costs. Not only will that affect how you view sleeping and your sleep cycle; it's never going to amount to an effective study session take my word for it. Fall in love with your library, or a nearby library-esque space to sit upright, stay focused, and appear studious.

Lastly if you're like me and crave group study as part of your regimen, be sure your group is on your level. As harsh as it sounds you need to scoot all distractions to the side. That includes friends who play too much, don't review before you meet, and simply hold you back in any way, shape, or form.

Those are all the "non-tips" I have and like I said I'm no expert. School is a journey one that teaches you both inside and out of the classroom. You'll learn about yourself, how you learn (effectively), and how to accomplish what you set out to do.